What do we do?
This site was built for people just like you. People who crave a deeper, more interactive, and imaginative entertainment experience.
This site exists to give you a unique audio entertainment experience providing loads of Audio Drama resources. It provides entertainment that can be enjoyed passively and alone, true, but, more importantly, it provides entertainment that can be experienced socially, interactively, and creatively; entertainment that activates and stimulates the brain; entertainment that is immersive, fun, and expands the imagination.
We provide scripts, games, and recordings of audio drama that let groups of friends and family experience memorable times of fun and social interaction in the worlds of Old Time Radio Drama.
Radio plays and roleplaying games take place completely within the imagination of the participants. Because they are designed to use the mind as a canvas, very little is needed beyond imagination, the scripts, and the game rules to bring fabulous adventures to life for you and those you invite to participate.
Who are we?
Weirdworldstudios.com is a small, independent, producer of audio drama scripts and resources, along with related entertainment in the style of old time radio plays. Our flagship products are packaged as a fun dinner party idea.
How can we help you?
It’s great getting together with friends isn’t it? And we’ve done all of the planning and most of the hard work for you so that you can make your next gathering into something truly memorable.
- The materials hosted on this site provide you with everything you need to enjoy great home entertainment or host a fantastic social event that will be talked about long after the event itself.
- No acting skills or visual aids are required – a radio play can be read from your chair while the world comes to life in your imagination.
- The dinner party plan is flexible providing loads of suggestions but few requirements. Would you rather not get dressed up? No problem. Do you prefer ordering in pizza to cooking from a period menu? The choice is yours.
- The role playing game can take your experience to the next level by introducing you to a whole new world of fun and interactivity where you become the hero of the story.
- You can immerse yourself in the characters, inventing your own voices and hamming it up with your friends.
- A hosted audio drama or roleplaying game is loads of fun and provides plenty of laughs and entertainment.
- Most importantly, you’ll create a lasting memory that your guests will talk about for a long time to come.
Visit our Shop
What people are saying
– Ruth Alder, author of “The Nothing Man”, “Good Grief”, and “The Other Side of Everything”.
– Carl Purcell, author of Winter City and Sorceress’ Blood
– Ben Carpentier, customer
Our play “The House” came runner up in the 2016 Marion Thauer Brown Audio Scriptwriting competition. Check it out here.
What can you find here?
We’ve got all the Audio Drama resources you need for a great “night in” with friends and/or family. All that is required to host and run an entertaining dinner party around a “table reading” of a great feature-length radio script has been packaged up in the form of our fun and educational entertainment kits.
- Our feature length scripts take from 1 1/2 to 2 hours to read and generally provide for a fun 3 hour dinner party experience.
- These scripts are written to be enjoyed by 6-8 participants.
- A suggested menu and recipes, themed to fit the story, are provided.
- Period costume suggestions are also included.
- For those who really want to recreate the ambiance of old time radio production we’ve included instructions for a do-it-yourself sound-effects kit.
- Each script, while forming part of a larger serial, provides it’s own self-contained story to enjoy.
The production of the great resources and material you can find on this site is funded through the sale of these kits, so please consider supporting us with a purchase.
For teachers, students, and those with a casual interest in the nuts and bolts of writing and producing audio drama we have a large range of free lessons, materials, tips, tricks, and detailed articles to help you “take a look under the hood” of radio drama production. Here you can learn to become an audio-drama producer in your own right, build the skills to write your own script, and shape that script into your very own masterpiece . This is such an accessible medium for people to develop their story-telling creativity that we want to help stir your creative juices and encourage you to dive right in. You’ll be surprised how easy and rewarding it is to get started with the fun and comprehensive resources we’ve developed.
More and more people, just like you, are turning to a highly underrated source of reading entertainment.
For the time poor reader of the 21st Century, scripts are a surprisingly accessible, but often overlooked, source of relaxation because they can be read in one third of the time (often even less) that it takes to read a novel, and will still leave the reader with the same depth and richness of experience.
In terms of power and artistic merit, and as a vehicle for great stories, scripts can be the equal in storytelling and language of any literary form, and just as timeless (consider the continuing value of Shakespeare’s plays).
For time-saving, imagination building, entertainment, scripts just can’t be beaten.
The Roleplaying Game
Have you ever wanted to live the adventures that were recounted in the great radio shows of the past? Sure, you can live them vicariously, but, since the invention of the roleplaying game, it is also possible to experience them in a far more direct and immersive way.
Tabletop roleplaying games provide the rules and structure needed to become the heroes of the story, letting you direct the action and live the adventure, while, just like in a radio drama, the fun all takes place on the canvas of the mind (where the vistas are unlimited and the special effects are better than anything developed for film and television).
Roleplaying games develop imagination, problem solving, social skills, and story-telling ability. They are also incredibly fun and addictive.
We’ve provided an entire free player’s guide to get you started.
Lots of Free Content
And of course, as enthusiasts for all things Radio Drama, we’ve giving away lots of showcased classic radio shows for download, free samples of our kits, recipes, resource links, PC wallpapers and more. Simply explore the free content at your leisure. There’s a lot of treasure to be found.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Latest Free Content
Below we present the complete text of “Hell’s Chateau”, episode 3 of our new Two Fisted Cosmic Horror serial; The Alchemist. This is a brand new (unpublished) series (featuring Antoine DuValier and Brigitte LeGrande). If you would like to see…
A MODEL FOR WRITING SCARY STORIES Quick disclaimer: A model is an abstraction. It’s an artificial way of simplifying and organising ideas so that they can be applied in some practical way. Models are useful so long as we understand…
Below we present the complete text of “A Secret from the Past”, episode 2 of our new Two Fisted Cosmic Horror serial; The Alchemist. This is a brand new (unpublished) series (featuring Antoine DuValier and Brigitte LeGrande). If you would…
IT IS TO LAUGH… I’ve been doing some thinking about writing comedy for audio drama; both its attractions and its dangers. I like to use humour throughout my plays (though none of them are, strictly speaking, comedies). I do this,…